All day-to-day city operations, administration, procurement, and budgeting are managed through the City Manager's Office. The City Manager's Office is a city department that includes the City Manager, the Deputy City Manager, the City Clerk, and the Deputy City Clerk. The Office oversees all city departments to serve the needs of the nearly 55,000 residents of Stonecrest.
Acting City Manager
Janice Allen Jackson is the Acting City Manager for Stonecrest and chief operating officer of city government. She is responsible for daily operations and overseeing all city departments.
Mrs. Jackson has served as City Manager of Albany, GA, and Administrator of the consolidated Augusta, GA government. She also worked as one of four General Managers reporting to the County Manager in Mecklenburg County, NC, and Assistant City Manager in Albany. She began her career in local government as a Management Intern in Prince George's County, MD.
Throughout her career, she has always enjoyed bringing major projects to fruition, building public trust in government, and empowering staff to become their best and most productive. Her unique talents revolve around her willingness to address issues head on with honesty, sincerity, and integrity, and in so doing, bring people closer to the organizations that serve them, and employees closer to the organizations for which they work.
Some of her professional, civic, and academic achievements include active roles in:
- United Way in Augusta, Albany, and the Central Carolinas
- International and Georgia City-County Manager's Associations
- National Forum for Black Public Administrators
- Institute for Social Capital at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte (Board member)
- Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. (Diamond Life member)
- Rotarian/Paul Harris Fellow
- Public Policy Analysis and Management Fellow (Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management)
- College of William and Mary – first interdisciplinary major in Public Policy with concentration in Urban Policy
- Duke University – Master’s in Public Policy with Management concentration
- Good Shepherd Baptist Church – member and Vacation Bible School teacher
Deputy City Manager
Jim Nichols is the Deputy City Manager for Stonecrest and directly supports the Acting City Manager in daily operations.
Mr. Nichols holds degrees in engineering from Northeastern University and the University of Connecticut as well as a Public Management certificate from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. He began his engineering career in Connecticut and then moved to Washington state where he first entered public service as a Project Engineer with the City of Olympia. Mr. Nichols has had an extensive career in local government executive management around the US, having served over 17 years as Assistant/Deputy City Manager amongst other executive roles for communities around Texas, Arizona and Nevada. He has also developed a significant overseas element to his career path, having taught engineering at a university in China while also working with and for cities in the Philippines, Saudi Arabia and most recently, Honduras. Mr. Nichols is a licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in Arizona, Nevada and Washington as well as a Credentialed Manager through the International City/County Management Association (ICMA). He remains an active member of both ICMA and the American Public Works Association (APWA).